When we think of pests invading our home, carpet beetles are not at the top of the list. However, these occasional invaders are something that all homeowners should do their best to prevent. Though they don't threaten the health of humans, they can destroy our belongings leaving us wondering what we should do to avoid a problem in the first place.
What Does A Carpet Beetle Look Like?
Adult carpet beetles are small, oval insects, capping out at about 1/8 of an inch. They are most often dark brown or black with zig-zag markings. While these fully grown beetles may be unsightly, it is their tinier and more oblong larvae, covered with hair, that pose a threat to your Tukwila residence.
Signs Of Carpet Beetle Larva In Your Tukwila Property
Carpet beetles may be visible to the naked eye, they are quite tiny and like to hide in closets and upholstery, making them easy to miss if you're not actively looking for these critters. Fortunately, there are some signs that will alert you to their presence:
- Look for holes or uneven deterioration of your carpets.
- Keep an eye out for signs of damage in your articles of clothing, closeted and shelved alike.
- If carpet beetles do take up residence in your closet, you may unknowingly wear an infested piece of clothing. If carpet beetle larvae have the opportunity, they will bite. Their bites are not harmful to your health, but they can trigger intense, itchy rashes for those susceptible to allergic reactions.
Prevent Carpet Beetles With These Simple Tips
Though carpet beetles aren't dangerous, they are a nuisance, and over time, they will destroy your belongings. Whether you detect an infestation or want to exercise precaution, our professionals at Alta Pest Control can help. The following tips will help keep these unwanted critters out of your Tukwila home:
- Oftentimes, fabric-hungry pests like the carpet beetle don’t have to try very hard to enter human homes. In fact, humans often unintentionally bring them into their homes by refusing to inspect recently purchased pieces of furniture or articles of clothing. Inspect all items carefully before bringing them into your home.
- The one good thing about carpet beetle larvae is just how poor their mobility is, making them relatively easy to keep out. So what about adult carpet beetles? If you can keep them away, they can't lay eggs. While larvae eat fibers, adult carpet beetles consume pollen, so keeping your property low on extraneous plant life will be helpful in warding away future invaders.
- Install door sweeps to keep carpet beetles and other unwanted pests from crawling inside.
Despite your best efforts to keep carpet beetles away, you may still notice signs of an infestation. Fortunately, our team of experts at Alta Pest Control can help! We have the experience and tools to rid carpet beetles and other unwanted pests from your Tukwila home. If you're looking for a one-time visit or a recurring residential pest control plan, we have the option that will suit your needs and your budget. Reach out to our team of experts today with questions or to schedule a home inspection. With our pest-free guarantee, you have nothing to lose!