What are Cockroaches?
Cockroaches can be natural recyclers and help to reduce the number of animals and plants that are dying. The United States has about 70 species of Cockroaches. However, only a few are considered pests and can be problematic for humans. Cockroaches hide in the dark and scatter quickly when they feel threatened. The body of cockroaches is oval-shaped and has six legs that are covered with spines. They vary in size and appearance depending on the species. Below are the most commonly found cockroaches in North America.
What kinds of Cockroaches are there?
How to keep cockroaches away from your home
By preventing cockroaches from getting into your home, you can avoid having to kill them. These are simple ways to prevent cockroaches entering your home.
Reinforce your home from cockroaches
Protecting your home's perimeter is another way to keep cockroach activity under control. Although it may seem difficult as cockroaches can get into a small crack, it is important to conceal any entry points. For the following reasons, it is a good idea to seek professional guidance and assistance:
- Sealing cracks on the exterior of your home
- Close gaps around windows and doors, and wherever utility lines enter your home.
- Screening and sealing sewer lines and vents.
Use proper food storage methods
Cockroaches will seek shelter in your home to satisfy their basic needs. You can eliminate them and prevent an infestation. These are some tips to help you avoid an infestation.
- Take care of your pets if you feed them outside.
- Check that counters, tables, and other surfaces are clean. Do not store food on desks at work or in other places of your home that could be forgotten.
Keep your home clean
A messy home is the ideal hiding place for cockroaches, especially the German Cockroach. These are some tips to help you keep your home tidy.
- Take down stacks of magazines, newspapers and paper. These can be great hiding spots and food sources for cockroaches.
- Regular vacuuming is a good way to get rid of dirt, dust, and crumbs.
- Get rid of the trash every day and keep the containers outside away from your home's entrances.
- If you find large cockroaches in your attic, garage, garage, utility room, or storage area, clean it.
How to get rid of cockroaches from your home
Most effective cockroach control requires multiple methods. It is important to have a plan before you begin the job.
- You can identify the type of cockroach living in your home. This will help you determine the best method to get rid of it. German cockroaches, for example, are most commonly found indoors. They also prefer areas that have food and water sources. Regular sanitation and the removal of food sources (including grease) may help reduce their population.
- Use glue traps. The traps will catch the roaches, which will then become stuck. For effective control, a pest control professional will know which glue traps are best and where they should be placed.
- Call an expert. Alta Pest Control Professionals will perform a thorough inspection to determine exactly where cockroaches hide -- and how they got there -- and then create a plan to remove them and provide lasting protection.
Cockroaches can be a formidable opponent, so it is a good idea to call a professional pest control company to get rid of them safely and effectively.