Every pest presents its own unique problems, and eliminating them requires a specific approach. However, when it comes to prevention, simply following some general guidelines can help reduce the presence of a variety of pests on your property. Pest prevention in Wichita doesn’t have to be complicated. Follow this guide to learn more about common pests in the area and what you can do to stop them this spring.
Types Of Pests In Wichita
While there are many different pests that can infest your property in Wichita, some are more common than others:
Ants: There are several types of ants found in Wichita, including odorous house ants, carpenter ants, and pavement ants. These pests can contaminate food and are often difficult to eliminate entirely.
Cockroaches: Cockroaches can transmit a number of harmful pathogens. They often inhabit bathrooms and kitchens where moisture levels are high.
Rodents: Whether it’s mice or rats, rodents not only spread disease but also cause destruction. Rodents can chew through plastic, wood, and even brick materials in search of food and shelter.
Some pests are more active at certain times of the year. You’re more likely to encounter bees and wasps in the warm summer months than in the freezing temperatures of winter. But pest problems don’t stop with the change of seasons. The reliable food, water, and shelter that your property provides can attract pests year-round.
That’s why prevention is so important. By guarding against pests this spring, you can save yourself from needless stress and frustration later.
Cleaning For Pest Prevention
The first thing you can do to prevent pests from infesting your property is to perform a thorough cleaning. Pests often find food and shelter in neglected areas of the home. If it’s been a while since you’ve cleaned the cupboards or swept under the refrigerator, now is a good time.
- Wipe and sweep. Clean the surfaces where you eat and cook food. Sweep and mop the floors in these areas and beneath heavy appliances. Don’t forget about out-of-reach areas like cupboards, closets, and attics.
- Do some yard work. Remove organic debris like rotting leaves, sticks, or fallen trees. Trim hedges and shrubs to keep them from making contact with your home or building. Don’t forget to clean up behind sheds and in the corners of the property.
- Take out the trash. Don’t let trash accumulate. Try to keep garbage receptacles outdoors and away from your home or building and dispose of your trash regularly. Use a bin with a tight-fitting lid indoors to keep pests out.
Repairing For Pest Prevention
Cleaning is essential, but there are some straightforward repairs you can do that will help to reduce the presence of pests on your property as well:
- Seal entrances. Inspect your property for cracks, gaps, or openings that pests use as entrances. Check your foundation, around pipes, and around cables. Seal openings with caulk or metal mesh or plating. Stuff holes with steel wool to prevent rodents.
- Reduce moisture. Fix any leaking pipes, faucets, or spigots where water accumulates. Make sure gutters are clear and draining water away from the property. If possible, try installing a dehumidifier in your basement to make the environment less hospitable to pests.
- Replace weather stripping. Damaged weather stripping or door sweeps can let pests indoors. Replace any faulty weather stripping or door sweeps as needed.
There are lots of things you can do to prevent pests from invading your Wichita property. But the best thing you can to do protect against pests is to enlist ongoing support from the professionals at Alta Pest Control. With comprehensive pest control plans as well as targeted treatments for problem pests available, we’ll eliminate the pests you have and prevent future pests from coming. Our services come 100% guaranteed. Get in touch with us today to request your free inspection.