When the weather starts to get warm and you want to spend time outside enjoying your yard, one thing that can ruin all your fun is wasps. While there are many pests that people don’t want to deal with in their Spokane home, wasps are some of the scariest.
Wasps and other stinging insects play an important role in the environment, but they also pose some risks for humans. While they aren’t usually aggressive away from their nests, they do sometimes sting, and some people are severely allergic to their stings. There are many stinging insects common in this area. Here are some of them:
- Paper wasps: These are common wasps that are best known for the fact that their nests have a papery appearance. They are a slender species that is dark brown with orangish markings.
- Hornets: Hornets are black with yellow or white bands. They are generally small and only reach half an inch long.
- Yellowjackets: Yellowjackets are not furry and have smooth bodies with yellow and black stripes. They are known for being aggressive.
What Are The Benefits Of Wasps?
Just like bees, wasps are good for the environment in a couple of key ways. First, they are pollinators which means they are extremely important for food production for many species, including humans. Second, wasps help control the populations of smaller insects that are their prey.
While it’s good to have some stinging insects because of the role they play in the ecosystem, they aren’t good when they make nests on your property. While not all species of wasps are aggressive, if they feel threatened or you get too close, they will sting. And many wasps will sting more than once. For these reasons, if you have wasps' nests around your Spokane home, it’s essential to get rid of them.
Ways To Prevent Wasps
If you haven’t noticed any wasps on your property, there are some things that you can do to discourage them. While prevention methods can’t guarantee you'll never get a wasps' nest, they can make your yard less appealing to them.
- Keep outdoor trash cans securely fitted with lids.
- Don’t keep food outside and make sure to clean up spills if you are eating in your yard.
- Store any pet food with tightly fitted lids.
- Make sure that any features like hot tubs or pools are treated with the proper chemicals.
- Get rid of places where standing water sits on the property.
How To Protect Your Home From Wasps
If you’ve noticed a wasp’s nest on your property, the safest and most effective way to get rid of them is to contact the professionals at Alta Pest Control. Trying to get rid of a nest on your own is when you're most likely to get stung. Getting help from professionals will keep you safe. Our wasp removal services will get rid of wasps' nests effectively. We can also help you with prevention steps. Reach out to us today for details.