Does the thought of cockroaches make your skin crawl? We don’t blame you. Cockroaches are associated with dirt and germs, and the mere thought of them inside your Wichita, Kansas home can trigger fight or flight instincts. These fears are not unwarranted. Cockroaches come with an assortment of health hazards. Cockroach infestations can multiply quickly, which is why the best way to combat an infestation is to know the signs and catch it early.
There are several species of cockroaches you might come across in the Wichita area, the American cockroach, the Oriental cockroach, the German cockroach, and the Brown-banded cockroach. Each of these species has unique traits from appearance to preferred living conditions.
- American cockroaches are the largest house-invading species. They usually grow to a length of 1½ to 2 inches. American cockroaches are a dark reddish-brown and have a yellowish figure-eight pattern behind their heads. This species also has wings. They can fly but they rarely do.
- Oriental cockroaches have smooth shiny black bodies. They grow to about 1 inch long and they give off a bad, musty odor.
- German cockroaches are the most common structure-invading cockroaches and will feed on almost anything. They are light brown or tan with black stripes down their heads. German cockroaches are a small species of ½ to 5/8 of an inch in size.
- Brown-banded cockroaches are the opposite of American cockroaches. This species is one of the smallest invading species at ½ an inch long. As their name suggests, they have two browbands around their bodies, over their abdomen and wings. The rest of their bodies are a lighter brown.
Signs Of An Infestation
You are more likely to see signs of cockroaches before seeing an actual cockroach. These signs include:
- Droppings-which look like black pepper and has an unusual odor
- Shed skins. (As cockroaches go through stages of their life; they shed their skin.)
- Chew marks-and other damage to items such as books, leather, and packaging
- Smear marks, which are dark and may be found on walls and areas where the cockroaches are active
- Egg sacks which look like dark capsules and are full of nymphs
- If you see any of the signs above, assume you have a cockroach infestation. Catching an infestation early is key to getting it under control.
Dangers Of Cockroaches
You don’t need us to tell you that cockroaches in your home are dangerous. But how dangerous are they? The answer varies depending on the species. Cockroaches are a health hazard for any home. They contaminate food with their feces, spread bacteria, and parasites, and can make people sick. Some of the diseases cockroaches can cause are:
- Typhoid Fever
- Cockroaches can also cause severe allergies and trigger asthma.
Getting Rid of Cockroaches
Cockroaches can be difficult to get rid of once they infest your Wichita home. This is because they have a rapid reproduction rate, have strong immune systems, and are good at hiding. Research has shown that conventional pesticides are not as effective against cockroaches because cockroaches are becoming increasingly resilient. In general, cockroaches are good at surviving. Although this may be the case, it is not impossible to rid your home of a cockroach infestation. The best thing to do is to get help from professionals.
Professional Cockroach Control
If you see signs of a cockroach infestation in your Wichita, Kansas home, you should call the professionals at Alta Pest Control. We offer customized plans that are safe for residential homes and are sure to meet your pest control need.