The Best Way To Keep Mosquitoes Out Of Your Wichita Yard
August 20, 2021
If there’s one thing that can ruin a sunny day by the pool or a summer BBQ, it’s mosquitoes – and Wichita residents know all too well how much of a nuisance these pests can be. However, Wichita mosquitoes do more than just leave behind a few itchy bug bites – they can also transmit dangerous diseases like Zika virus, West Nile virus, malaria, yellow fever, and dengue fever.
As much of a health hazard as they are, mosquitoes are one pest that you don’t want hanging around your property – here are some of the best ways to keep mosquitoes off your Wichita property this summer.
What Attracts Mosquitoes To Your Wichita Property?
Mosquitoes may seem like they pop up everywhere, but certain factors can draw them to your property. Mosquitoes are especially drawn to standing water sources like ponds, lakes, marshes, or wading pools because this is where these pests like to breed and lay their eggs.
Flowering vegetation, like your blossoming garden, can also be a big attraction for mosquitoes because they feed on these plants.
Knowing what lures them in, here are some ways you may be able to reduce how attractive your property looks to mosquitoes:
- Remove standing water sources, including puddles, water that collects on top of tarps, and trash can lids.
- Keep your gutters clean throughout the year.
- Regularly empty your pet’s outdoor water dishes, kiddie pools, and birdbaths.
- Store hollow and empty vessels, like wheelbarrows, barrels, and other yard debris, inside during the summertime.
- Address other drainage issues that may be on your property, such as filling in low-lying areas.
- Get rid of unnecessary flowering vegetation, and try to plant flowering plants farther away from the home.
- Regularly mow your lawn.
While the above tips may not completely eliminate mosquitoes from your property, they can help stop these pests from making your yard their breeding ground.
The Best Way To Keep Mosquitoes Off Your Wichita Property
Even with reducing standing water sources and being careful about where you plant your flowers, the most effective form of mosquito control is a professional one. At Alta Pest Control, our goal is to keep your property as mosquito-free as possible – not only can we identify problem areas that may be attracting mosquitoes, but our treatments can help actively combat these pests too.
If you or your home seem to have a mosquito-shaped target on your back, you don’t want to ignore the problem – contact us today to learn more about our mosquito control program and what we can do to help.
How To Prevent Mosquito Bites In Wichita
Along with reducing potential mosquito attractions on your property or contacting a professional, there are also a few tips to prevent mosquito bites while you’re out and about.
- Wear light-colored clothing outside as dark colors, like red, black, and dark blue, can attract bugs and mosquitoes.
- Looser, thicker fabrics can also offer more protection and coverage as well.
- Try to stay inside during hours of the day with heavy mosquito traffic, like dawn and dusk.
- If you’re spending long periods of time outdoors, try applying insect repellent.
- Wear natural mosquito-repellent scents, like lavender, eucalyptus, and citronella.
Following the preventative tips above can certainly reduce the number of mosquitoes that you see in your Wichita yard, but if you’re still having issues, it may be time to contact us at Alta Pest Control.